Top 10 rivers of the World : There are approximately 165 major rivers in the world. All these rivers play a vital role in the existence of living organisms. They not only provide water but also indirectly help in economical development too. That’s why they are called as the ‘Lifeline’ of the World .
Some of the rivers are very large while some of them are very small. So here is the list
Top 10 rivers of the World
1. Nile: Nile river is the largest river in the world. It originates from Victoria lake and has a total length of 6,650 kilometers. Nile river falls in the Mediterranean Sea. There are many important dams made on this river. Examples: Aswan High Dam, Sudan, Grand Ethiopian, etc.
2. Amazon: Amazon river is the 2nd largest river in the world. It originates from the Andes mountain of Peru and has a total length of 6,428 kilometers. The total basin of this river is 7.05 million km2. It releases almost 300,300 m3 of fresh water per second. It falls in the Atlantic Ocean. Amazon rain forest is also known as the lung of the world. Its forest area produces about 20-30% of the world’s oxygen. Its rainforest is home to more than 3 million species, which include 40,000 tree species, and 370 types of reptiles.
3. Yangtze: Yangtze is the 3rd largest river in the world and the longest river in Asia. It originates from Jari Hill, Tibetan Kiang Plateau. The total length of this river is 6,300 kilometers. It falls in the East China Sea.
4. Mississippi Missouri: Mississippi Missouri river originates from Itasca lake, USA. The total length of this river is 6,275 kilometers and it falls in the Gulf of Mexico. It is the second-largest river in North America.
5. Huang Ho: Huang Ho river or the Yellow river originates from Bayan Har Mountain and falls at the Bohai Sea. The total length of this river is 5,464 kilometers. It is the sixth-longest river in the world. It flows at a speed of nearly 1,800 cubic meters per second. The total basin of the Yellow river is 752,546 km2.
6. Ob-Irtysh: Altai Mountain is the origin of Ob- the Irtysh River and one of the major rivers of Russia. After crossing nearly 5,410 kilometers this river falls in the Gulf of Ob. It has two major sources: 1- Katun River and 2- Biya River.
7. Parana- Rio de la Plata: This river originates from South Brazil and falls in the Atlantic Ocean. The total length of this river is 4,880 kilometers. The total basin area of this river is 2.583 million km2.
8. Congo: The Congo river originates from Lualaba and falls into the Atlantic Ocean. The total length of this river is 4,700 kilometers. It is the second largest river in Africa after the Nile.
9. Lena: Lena river originates from Baikal Mountain (Gory Bajkalskie). The total length of this river is 4,294 kilometers. The total basin of this river is 2.49 million km2. It is the 10th longest river in the world.
10. Yenisei: This river originates from Tannu-Ola Mountain. The total length of this river is 3,487 kilometers. It falls in the Kara Sea.
All the above rivers are considered the backbone of the World Economy. They are the source of food, mines, fuel, etc. Many people depends on river for their livelihoods. Some of them catches fishes from the rivers while some do cultivation in river basins.
But due to the effect of climate change major rivers of the world are now polluted. The water level also gradually decreases and it directly affects the aquatic ecosystem as well as all other depending bodies too. We have to think today and before it becomes too late to save the ‘lifeline’ as soon as possible.
Note : Photo credit goes to the rightful owner
Also Read : Top 10 costly flower of the World